Creme BruleeFrom iwannabachef 7 years ago
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees
- On medium heat, boil 1 quart of heavy whipping cream along with vanilla beans (strip beans out and put entire stalk in the cream) Bring to a boil and then remove from heat, cover and set aside for 15 minutes.
- Seperate eggs (reserve egg whites for another recipe or discard)
- In a medium mixing bowl, mix egg yolks and 1/2 cup of sugar
- Stir cream mixture in with the eggs, a little at a time, until blended well
- Pour mixture into six ramikins and place them in a large roasting pan
- Pour hot water into pan, making sure that it does not get into the ramikins, until the water is half way up on each ramikin
- Bake custards in water bath for 45 to 60 minutes, or until set (edges are a little brown and solid while center wiggles like jello)
- Remove raminkins from water bath, let cool to room temperature and put in the refridgerator overnight or up to two days.
- Before serving, spread remaining 1/2 cup of sugar evenly over each custard
- With a kitchen torch, burn the sugar until it is carmelized and hard
- (If you do not have a kitchen torch, you can place all of the raminkins back in a water bath (this time with ice water to keep the custards cooker) put them in the broiler for about five to ten minutes, keep checking them.. the sugar will bubbly...
- serve and enjoy! :)