Carne BirriaFrom sharebear1 4 years ago
- 3-4 lb beef chuck roast OR rump roast shopping list
- 4 guajillo chiles shopping list
- 3 chile de arbols shopping list
- 3 ancho chiles shopping list
- 3 cascabel chiles shopping list
- 1 teaspoon pepper shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves shopping list
- 1 tsp Mexican oregano shopping list
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon ground thyme or 2-3 sprigs shopping list
- 6 garlic cloves, minced shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon shopping list
- 2 bay leaves shopping list
- 1 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 1 onion, minced shopping list
- 2 tablespoons vinegar shopping list
- 1 cup of water shopping list
- 1 cup chopped onion shopping list
- 1 cup chopped cilantro shopping list
- corn tortillas shopping list
How to make it
- Toast chilies on cormal or griddle. Remove stems and seeds. Place them in a bowl of warm water (not to hot!) and let them soak about 15-20 minutes. After done soaking place the chilies into blender with vinegar and make a paste, you may need to add a little of the chilies water to this.
- Mix the salt, pepper, cloves, oregano, cumin, cinnamon and thyme. Rub this mixture over meat very well. Take half of the chili paste and spread over meat. Place meat into fridge to marinate overnight.
- Fill a Dutch oven with water. Add the chopped onion, bay leaf, garlic and the remaining chile sauce to the water. Place meat on a rack that sits just above the water. Place lid on and bake for 4 hours at 350 degrees.
- Remove the meat and place into serving bowls. Let the liquid cool slightly and remove the bay leaves. Blend the liquid and add enough hot water to make at least 2 cups. Ladle the liquid over the meat and top with chopped onion and cilantro. Serve with warm corn tortillas.
- Extra Info:
- The other way to serve this is to first remove bay leaves from liquid. If liquid is too watery, reduce by boiling in a small pan. Coat the meat chunks with the reduced chile sauce. Use meat to fill tortillas and top with onions and cilantro.
The Cooksharebear1 Coon Rapids, MN
- Not added to any groups yet!