Chicken Sauce PiquanteFrom hot_it_up 3 years ago
- 2 whole hens, cut up in 16 pieces and excess fat removed shopping list
- 1/2 pound chicken liver optional shopping list
- 1 cup oil shopping list
- 1 cup celery chopped shopping list
- 1 cup onion chopped shopping list
- 1 bell pepper chopped shopping list
- 1 cup fresh mushrooms sliced shopping list
- 1 cup flour + 1 cup for dredging. shopping list
- 1 can 15 oz tomato sauce shopping list
- 1 can Rotel tomatoes w/chilies shopping list
- 1 bay leaf shopping list
- 2 cloves mashed garlic shopping list
- 2 quarts water shopping list
- cajun seasoning to taste shopping list
- 1 bunch green onions chopped shopping list
- 1 cup wine shopping list
How to make it
- Lightly dredge chicken pieces and livers in flour, shaking off excess.
- Brown lightly in oil in large Dutch oven on medium heat or 350 deg.. Remove chicken from pan. Add livers and brown if using, then remove as well.
- Cook onion, onion tops, green pepper,celery and mushrooms until golden brown in remaining oil. Remove, leaving the oil
- Add flour, cook slowly until brown, stirring constantly. (should be the color of mud when done).
- Add tomato sauce, Rotel tomatoes, bay leaf, garlic, cooked vegetables, chicken, wine, seasoning and remaining ingredients
- Slowly add water (2 quarts may be too much), dissolving flour mixture, to desired consistency (thick, not runny). Bring to a boil, lower flame and simmer 2 hours or more. Serve over cooked white rice.