Pot Roast CarbonnadeFrom pleclare 3 years ago
- 1/2 lb slab bacon,cut in large lardons(pieces) shopping list
- 2 med. onions,sliced shopping list
- salt and fresh ground pepper shopping list
- 1 Tbs vegetable oil shopping list
- 1-1/2 lbs beef chuck,cut in large cubes shopping list
- 5 carrots,peeled and cut in large chunks shopping list
- Generous Tbs. flour shopping list
- 12 oz. beer(dark or light,your preference) shopping list
- 6 prunes shopping list
- 1 Tbs dried thyme shopping list
- 1 c beef stock shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- In large Dutch oven over med heat,add bacon and cook till it renders its fat and almost becomes crispy. Remove with slotted spoon to plate.
- Add onions,season with salt and pepper,to taste,and cook over low heat till they are deep in color and caramelized,about 30 mins.
- Remove onions to plate,leaving as much fat in pot as possible. Add vegetable oil and mix it with bacon fat. Raise heat to high. Season beef liberally with salt and pepper and sear,in batches,until nicely browned on both sides.
- Once the meat is browned,add the first batch of meat back to the pan along with the onions,carrots,and bacon. Sprinkle in the flour and stir. Cook for 1 min. before deglazing the pan with beer. Add the remaining ingredients and bring the mixture to a simmer.
- Cover the pot and put in oven to braise until beef is tender,about 2 hours. Remove pot from oven and transfer the pot roast to a serving dish.
The Cookpleclare Framingham, MA
The Rating1 people
Wonderful Pat - thanks for the post.valinkenmore in Malott loved it