Raspberry - Grilled Cornish HensFrom spinach1948 3 years ago
- Ingredients: shopping list
- 4 ( 1 Lb. Each ) Cornish hens, split in half lengthwise shopping list
- 1 cup fresh raspberries shopping list
- Garnish: spring greens shopping list
- Marinade: shopping list
- ¼ cup raspberry vinegar or white wine vinegar shopping list
- ¼ cup orange juice, no sugar added shopping list
- ¼ cup vegetable oil shopping list
- ¼ cup fresh raspberries shopping list
- 3 small cloves garlic shopping list
- 1 tsp. salt shopping list
- ½ tsp. black pepper shopping list
How to make it
- 1)In a food processor bowl or an electric blender container, place raspberry vinegar, orange juice, oil, ¼ cup raspberries, garlic, salt and pepper. Cover and process for 1 minute or until all ingredients are thoroughly combined. Set aside.
- 2)Rinse hens under cold water; pat dry with paper towels. Place hens in a shallow glass baking dish or in two jumbo self-sealing plastic bags. Pour raspberry marinade over hens. Cover dish or seal plastic bags. Refrigerate for 8 hours, turning occasionally, or overnight.
- 3)Light your charcoal fire at least 30 minutes before cooking the hens. ( The coals should be red-hot.) Position the rack of barbecue grill about 6 to 8 inches above the hot coals. Remove hens from marinade.
- 4)Place the hens on grill; reserve marinade for basting. Arrange hens skin side down on grill rack directly over the hot coals. Grill hens for 10 minutes or until lightly browned, rearranging them as necessary.
- 5)Remove hens from grill and set aside. Remove rack from grill; push coals to one side of grill and replace rack. If using a gas grill, turn off heat on one side. Place hens skin side up on grill rack away from coals and heat. Brush hens on all sides with reserved marinade. Cover grill.
- 6)Cook the hens 35 minutes, brushing with marinade and turning as necessary. Hens are done when leg joints move easily and juices run clear when thickest parts are pierced with a fork. Place hens on platter; garnish with raspberries and spring greens.
- Nutritional Values: Serving size one half hen; Calories per serving: 379, Protein: 44g, Carbohydrate: 4g, Fat: 20g, Cholesterol: 183mg, Sodium: 190mg.
- Note: A Diabetic friendly and low carbohydrate.