Corn Rye BreadFrom choclytcandy 4 years ago
- 1 1/2 tbs active dry yeast shopping list
- 1/2 cup lukewarm water shopping list
- 1/4 cup honey shopping list
- 1 cup plus 1 tbs cornmeal shopping list
- 1 cup boiling water shopping list
- 1/2 cup milk, warmed shopping list
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil shopping list
- 4 cups unbleached flour shopping list
- 1 cup rye flour shopping list
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt shopping list
- 1 cup medium-diced Walla Walla or other sweet onion shopping list
- 1 tbs caraway seeds shopping list
- 3 tbs minced fresh dill or 1 tbs dried shopping list
- 1 tbs olive oil shopping list
- 1 tbs milk shopping list
How to make it
- Combine yeast, lukewarm water and honey in a small bowl. Mix thoroughly and set aside until foamy, 10 to 15 minutes.
- In a bowl of an electric mixer, combine 1 cup cornmeal and boiling water (if mixing by hand, use a wooden spoon). Allow to stand until mixture cools to lukewarm. Stir in warm milk, oil. yeast mixture, mixing well. With the motor running on low, or by hand, gradually add 2 cups unbleached flour. Add rye flour, 1 cup more unbleached flour, salt, onion, caraway and dill.
- Coat a large bowl with olive oil; let stand in a warm place until dough is ready for rising.
- Turn dough out onto a well-floured board and knead, gradually adding remaining 1 cup flour, until elastic and smooth, about 15 minutes.
- Place dough in the prepared bowl, cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place until doubled bulk, about 2 hours.
- Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 5 minutes. Sprinkle a pizza pan or a large flat baking sheet with remaining 1 tbs cornmeal. Form dough into a large, round loaf and place on the pizza pan or baking sheet. Cover loosely with plastic and set aside in a warm place until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 400 degrees. Brush top of bread with milk. Bake until golden on top and bottom sounds hollow when rapped, about 50 minutes. Cool on rack.
The Cookchoclytcandy IN
- Not added to any groups yet!