Chicken Pot PieFrom mbalmr 6 years ago
- 6 1/2 C hearty chicken stock or broth shopping list
- 6 6-ounce boneless, skinless chicken breasts, uncooked, diced shopping list
- 1 stick butter shopping list
- 2 1/2 C diced onions shopping list
- 2 1/2 C diced carrots shopping list
- 1 3/4 C frozen peas, thawed shopping list
- 1/2 pound mushrooms, quartered shopping list
- 1 C flour shopping list
- 1 bay leaf shopping list
- 1 t salt shopping list
- 1/4 t white pepper shopping list
- 3/4 C heavy whipping cream, room temperature shopping list
- puff pastry (frozen) shopping list
- 2 egg whites shopping list
- 8 small aluminum pot pie bowls shopping list
How to make it
- In a medium sauce pan, bring stock or broth to a simmer. Add chicken and poach until just cooked through. Remove chicken with slotten spoon and set aside. Reserve stock for later use.
- In a 10 quart sauce pot, melt butter over medium heat.
- Add onions, carrots, and peas, and saute for about 3 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and continue to cook until they begin to give off their liquid and onions are transluscent (do not brown.)
- Add flour and mix gently to coat everything. Continue to cook on LOW heat for 6-8 minutes, stirring occasionally. Scrape the bottom of the pan as you do this so the roux doesn't burn.
- Increase heat and add the chicken stock in a steady stream, whisking continuously. Bring to a simmer, then lower heat.
- Pre-heat oven to 375.
- Add bay leaf, salt, pepper, and cook over low heat for 10 minutes.
- Add poached chicken, and warm heavy cream, stirring well.
- Spoon mixture evenly into 8 small aluminum baking bowls.
- Top each bowl with puff pastry.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the egg whites with a little water. Brush tops of pastry with egg wash.
- Place bowls on a baking sheet and bake until golden brown on top, about a half hour to 40 minutes.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes before serving.
The Cookmbalmr Oshkosh, WI
The Rating4 people
I love a really good chicken pot pie. Odd that I didn't have a recipe for one, until now. I just have to put a few mushrooms in this so forgive me. This is just going to be fantastic. I may cut the recipe in half, as there are only six of us. A reall...moreelgourmand in Apia loved it
YUMMMMMMM!! Thanks!! ^5windy1950 in Flint loved it
Tried this and it was delicious. You already had the mushrooms on the list. I used the whole recipe and it made heaps. You must be cooking for some NFL linemen. Thanks again for the post. RJelgourmand in Apia loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!