Corned BeefFrom chacha 3 years ago
- 3 to 4 pound corned beef, flat cut (point cut is less tender and much fattier) shopping list
- 1/4 cup water shopping list
- 2 Tbsp. pickling spice shopping list
- 1 small orange sliced (unpeeled) shopping list
- 1 large onion, sliced shopping list
- 1 large stalk of celery with leaves on shopping list
- 1 large carrot sliced shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Wash corned beef in cold water to remove brine and spices, if any.
- Drain and wipe with paper towel.
- Place a large sheet of heavy duty foil in an 8 X 12 baking pan (or other appropriate size for the corned beef).
- Place the corned beef fat side down in the center of the foil.
- Pour 1/4 cup water over meat.
- Sprinkle with spice, arrange orange slices and vegetables over top and around meat.
- Bring long ends of foil up and over meat and seal with double fold.
- Seal ends and turn up so liquid cannot run out.
- Bake for 4 to 4-1/2 hours.
- After 4 hours, unfold one end and test with a fork.
- It should be very tender.
- Refold the end and remove from oven.
- Allow to sit in the juices until cool.
- When cool, open foil, scrape off and discard orange, spices, juice and vegetables..
- Place meat in another piece of foil, wrap well, and refrigerate until the next day.
- Now, the beef can be sliced against the grain in nice thin slices.
- Before slicing, I slice off most of the fat.
- The thin layer left on will keep the slices from shredding and can be removed at the table.
- It is almost impossible to slice hot corned beef without destroying it.
The Cookchacha New York, NY
The Rating2 people
Great recipe! 5 Forks :)donman in Hammond loved it