Almond Cream Filled ChurrosFrom chefmeow 3 years ago
- Zest of 2 oranges finely chopped shopping list
- 2 cups water shopping list
- 1 cup butter shopping list
- 1 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 1/2 cup plus 3 tablespoons granulated sugar shopping list
- 2 cups all purpose flour shopping list
- 8 eggs shopping list
- 2 quarts vegetable oil shopping list
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon shopping list
- Almond cream: shopping list
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour shopping list
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar shopping list
- 2 cups milk shopping list
- 1/2 vanilla bean split and scraped shopping list
- 3 eggs shopping list
- 2 tablespoons butter shopping list
- 1 teaspoon almond extract shopping list
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped toasted almonds shopping list
How to make it
- Combine orange zest, water, butter, salt and 3 tablespoons sugar in a saucepan.
- Heat to a rolling boil then quickly stir in flour all at once.
- Stir briskly over heat until all ingredients are well incorporated and dough is silky.
- Place dough in a mixer and beat on medium speed with paddle attachment.
- Add eggs one at a time as dough cools then beat 5 minutes.
- Place dough in pastry bag with a large star tip.
- Pipe dough onto prepared sheet pan in tube shapes 3” long and 1” thick.
- Freeze piped dough until firm so it can be more easily handled.
- Heat oil to 375 and deep fry churros until golden brown then flip to complete browning.
- Remove with slotted spoon to a plate lined with paper towels then allow to cool.
- Push a tunnel through both ends of churros with handle of a wooden spoon.
- Fill pastry bag with flavored pastry cream and pipe into churros then refrigerate 30 minutes.
- To make pastry cream mix flour and sugar together.
- Heat milk and vanilla bean to scalding in a heavy saucepan.
- Add 1/2 cup hot milk to flour and sugar then beat until smooth and return to saucepan.
- Beat eggs lightly and temper by adding 1/2 cup of the milk mixture to eggs then beat well.
- Return tempered eggs to remaining milk mixture and cook over medium heat until thick. Remove from heat then add butter, almond extract and almond.
The Cookchefmeow Garland, TX
- Not added to any groups yet!