Dominican Sweet Corn BreadFrom choclytcandy 6 years ago
- 7 tbs butter, softened shopping list
- 4 tbs plus 1 cup flour shopping list
- 2 cups finely chopped mixed candied fruit peel (about 8 ounces) shopping list
- 3 cups yellow cornmeal shopping list
- 1 tbs double-acting baking powder shopping list
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon shopping list
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg shopping list
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves shopping list
- 1/2 cup coconut milk( add 1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh coconut and 1/2 cup hot water = milk) shopping list
- 1/2 cup milk shopping list
- 6 tbs lard, softened shopping list
- 1/4 cup sugar shopping list
- 4 eggs shopping list
- 2 cups finely grated fresh coconut shopping list
- 1 tsp finely grated fresh lime rind shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Butter and flour two 7x4x3-inch loaf pans (like you would a cake).
- Place the candied fruit peel in a small bowl and sprinkle it with 2 tbs of flour, coat fruit evenly with flour.
- Sift 1 cup flour, the cornmeal, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves together. Combine the coconut milk and regular milk. Set aside.
- In a deep bowl, cream 6 tbs of softened butter and the lard, beating and mashing them against the sides of the bowl with a large spoon until they are light and fluffy. Beat in the sugar, and the eggs, one at a time.
- Add 1 cup of the cornmeal mixture alternately with about 1/3 cup of the coconut-milk mixture, beating well after each addition. Continue to beat until batter is smooth.
- Add the candied fruit peel, grated coconut, and fresh lime rind, and mix gently thoroughly.
- Pour the batter into the buttered pans and bake in the middle of the oven for about 35 minutes, or until a cake tester or toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, and the top is golden brown. Let the bread cool in the pans for about 5 minutes, then turn them out on wire racks to cool completely. Serve as a sweet bread with coffee or afternoon tea.
The Cookchoclytcandy IN
- Not added to any groups yet!