Khounafa filo pastry with nutsFrom lohashim 6 years ago
- butter,1/2,pound,unsalted,melted shopping list
- filo pastry,1,pound shopping list
- walnuts,2,cup,chopped shopping list
- sugar,3,tablespoon shopping list
- 1 1/2,cup,cold syrup shopping list
- syrup: shopping list
- sugar, 3 cups shopping list
- water, 1 1/2 cups shopping list
- lemon juice,1 Tablespoon shopping list
- rose-water, 1 teaspoon or orange blossom water shopping list
How to make it
- In small bowl combine nuts & sugar.
- Brush baking dish (app. 12in *18in) with butter.
- Place 1 pastry sheet in pan,brush with butter.
- Place second sheet on top,overlap or fold sides if necessary, brush with butter,continue 8-10 layers.
- Spread walnut mixture evenly over top sheet.
- Cover with remaining pastry sheets.butter each layer
- Be sure to butter last sheet.
- Cut diagonal lines down and across to form diamond shaped pieces.
- Bake in preheated oven 350 bake 30 min, increase heat to 450 and bake 5-10 more min, until pastry puffs are a light golden color.
- While it is still hot pour syrup over it.
- for the syrup:
- Dissolve sugar in water. Add lemon juice, bring to a boil.
- Stir occasionally until syrup slightly thickens (about 10 min.)
- Add rose-water towards end of cooking time.
- STAND TO COOL