Crab and Lobster SaladFrom rachpj 5 years ago
- 1 whole main lobster or 2 rock lobster tails, thawed shopping list
- 1 whole dungeness crab or 2 red rock crabs shopping list
- 2 avocados shopping list
- 1/2 cup sour cream shopping list
- 1/2 cup mayo shopping list
- 2 tsp of Grey Poupon mustard, coarse ground shopping list
- 1 cucumber, peeled, seeded and finely diced shopping list
- handful of fresh chopped chives shopping list
- a few sprigs of freshly chopped dill- to taste shopping list
- 1/2 lemon juiced shopping list
- a few twists of coarsely ground black pepper shopping list
How to make it
- In a large steam pot bring about 3 quarts of water to a boil, Just enough to barely cover the lobster and crab, you are wanting to steam them not boil them. I add some sea salt to the water to help give them some more flavor while they cook. Cook them for about 15 minutes depending on the size of the lobster (less time for tails only). Also if you are using freshly caught live crabs, you do not need to cook them that long. They will turn a bright red when done. remove and set aside to cool.
- While your little red buddies are chillin out in the sink, prep the dressing for your salad. In a bowl combine the juice of half a lemon, sour cream, mayo and mustard, whisk until smooth. next add the finely diced cucumbers, chives and dill, blend well. Halve your avocados and remove the pit and peel the skin leaving the avocados in tact. Set your avocado halves on the serving plate, (two halves per person)
- *NOTE* you can skip this next part if you choose to use canned or frozen shellfish.
- Next is the fun part. If you have never cleaned fresh shellfish, and are squeamish, you might want to talk someone else into doing this part for you. Once your little buddies are cool enough for you to handle, you will take a pull the legs off the crab and set aside, next grab that little flap under the belly and pull that off as well, then grip the bottom of the shell and pull it off, throw the top away and clean out the body under cool running water, set aside. Next grab the lobster by the tail, while holding the body twist and pull the tail off (unless you have already done so prior to cooking him) next twist off the the claws and set aside. Don't bother with the little legs, throw the remainder away. To get the meat out of the tail in one piece, lay the tail on a flat hard surface with the hard top part facing up, then give it a good whack with your palm cracking the spine. it will split in half and you have nice whole tail to work with. Clean the crab getting all the good bits out and put that in your bowl with the sauce, dice the tail meat of the lobster in large chunks and add to sauce as well.
- Gently blend it all together trying not to mash the delicate shellfish meat. Place large spoon fulls of the mixture into each avocado half. Next get the claw meat from each lobster claw and gently remove in one piece, lay that on top of the avocados. Give a few twists of black pepper. I have mine on the coarse setting, you can omit it if you don't like black pepper.
- Serve and enjoy. You can also make this as a side dish only using one half for each person as well.