Smoked Garlic PowderFrom 99pelmeni 3 years ago
How to make it
- Peel garlic cloves and chop into pieces that are just big enough not to slip through a grilling basket.
- Place garlic pieces in basket and put on smoker. If you don't have a basket, puncture holes into a tinfoil tray for a similar effect.
- I use a small verticle smoker, although a charcoal grill might also work. Try to keep the temp as low and consistent as possible. Too much heat will cook and burn the garlic. You only want to smoke and dry it. I place the coals to the side of the pan to keep direct heat off the garlic.
- Add chunks of pre-soaked wood on top of the coals for the smoke. I use hickory and mesquite.
- Let the garlic slowly smoke until it is dehydrated. This may take 3-6 hours. When finished, it will be light and brittle.
- Place smoked garlic into a spice grinder or mill and grind to a fine powder.
- I keep my powder in old spice shakers for quick, convenient use.
The Cook99pelmeni Minneapolis, MN
- Not added to any groups yet!