Chocolate Strawberry Cake (talia's)From thepoint 4 years ago
- 1 box strawberry cake mix shopping list
- 1 can strawberry icing shopping list
- 1 can vanilla icing with multi-colored chips shopping list
- 1/3 cup strawberry preserves shopping list
- 1 wooden skewer shopping list
- 3/4 cup chocolate chips, divided shopping list
- 1 pound fresh strawberries, whole shopping list
How to make it
- Line the bottom of two 8-inch cake pans with parchment paper. Spray the bottom and sides of lined pans and dust with cocoa.
- Bake the strawberry cake according to the box directions, using the prepared pans. When done, cool slightly on cooling racks then turn over to remove cake layers.
- When cakes have completely cooled, remove the parchment paper and place the bottom layer on a serving plate. Place strips of waxed paper under the edges of cake to keep the serving plate clean.
- Combine the two cans of icings and mix thoroughly. Put a generous layer of icing on the bottom layer. Spread the strawberry preserves over the iced layer, keeping about an inch from the edge of the cake. Sprinkle about 1/4 cup of the chocolate chips over the icing.
- Put the top layer of the cake in place. Break or cut the wooden skewer into two pieces long enough to insert into the cake, but
- not stick out of the top. This will keep the layers from sliding. Cover the entire cake with the rest of the icing. You may have some left. Refrigerate the cake while you clean and slice the berries, if needed.
- Cap and core the strawberries and cut in half, top to bottom. Save one nice whole berry for the center of the cake. Place a few of the strawberry halves around the center berry, flower-like. Put the rest of the berries around the bottom edge of the cake, cut side in, slightly pressing them into the icing.
- Sprinkle the remaining chocolate chips over the top of the cake and slightly press them into the icing.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Baked by Talia Valencia for her grandmother on June 5, 2010.
The Cookthepoint Hagerstown, MD
- Not added to any groups yet!