Vanilla Custard (basic)From Kimskitchen 3 years ago
- 2 cups half and half shopping list
- 1/2 cup whole milk shopping list
- 2 vanilla beans, cut into thirds and inside beans scraped out* shopping list
- 1/2 cup sugar shopping list
- 3 egg yolks, beaten until pale yellow shopping list
- 2 tbsp corn startch shopping list
- Any desired fruit or cookie you want to add shopping list
- *Note: you can use 2 -3 tsp vanilla extract which would eliminate process of half and half marinating in vanilla beans. shopping list
How to make it
- Place half and half in jar with vanilla beans and pods, shake, and let sit for at least 30 minutes.
- In heavy bottom pan over medium low heat add half and half, vanilla beans and pods (or vanilla extract), and sugar. Stir until warmed. DO not let stick to bottom of pan or scortch. Add cornstartch to milk in jar and shake until mixed. Add to half and half mixture.
- Once egg yolks beaten, stir yolks continuously while slowly adding approx. one third mixture from heated pan. Do not let mixture cook eggs...keep beating. Add egg mixture back in to pan. Stir and cook until mixture coats back of spoon.
- Strain in to bowl to remove any clots, vanilla beans, pods for smooth custard. You will still have vanilla "specks".
- Place plastic wrap directly on custard (to prevent custard from getting "film" on top) and chill.
- Note: Once custard is strained you can use it for multiple purposes like making banana pudding, etc. Use your imagination. Pictured I have poured over fresh blueberries and topped with glazed fresh cherries.
The CookKimskitchen Nashville, NC
The Rating1 people
love it...will try soon:)
hey kim.....sorry i couldnt reply....yes if you want to add fruits them add them right before serving....and u can also add vanilla extract to make is vanilla yogurt...thanks for the comment:)
- Not added to any groups yet!