Drei Kleinen Schweinchen I I – RotkohlrouladenFrom alisdhair 6 years ago
- 1 medium sized red cabbage head shopping list
- 2 lbs of lean ground pork (granted that’s oxymoronical) shopping list
- ¾ cup of short grained white rice shopping list
- ¾ cup of fresh applesauce shopping list
- 3 cloves of garlic (finely minced) shopping list
- ½ tsp. of allspice shopping list
- 2 tbls. of toasted caraway seeds shopping list
- salt and black pepper shopping list
- 3 quarts of beef or pork stock shopping list
- 3 cups of cranberry juice shopping list
- ---SAUCE--- shopping list
- 1 medium yellow onion shopping list
- ¾ lb. of smoked bacon shopping list
- 2 tart green apples shopping list
- Fresh flat leafed parsley shopping list
- 2 tbls. of tomato paste shopping list
- 3 tbls. of butter shopping list
- salt and pepper shopping list
How to make it
- Have on the boil a large pot of water. Cut out the core from the cabbage while keeping it whole. Plop the cabbage into the boiling water and as it bathes start to pull off the outer leaves as they become tender. Drain them well and let cool.
- In the meantime soak the rice in very hot water for 15-20 minutes, rinsing and changing the water twice. Drain well.
- Combine the pork and applesauce with the rice. Season it with the allspice, caraway, garlic, salt and pepper.
- This will be used to fill the cabbage rolls which should be on the larger side (use about 5 oz. of the filling for each). Make sure that they are tightly sealed.
- Lay them in a single, layer into a deep casserole. Pour in the stock and cranberry juice and cover tightly. Bake at 350o for 1 ½ hours. Strain and save the pan juices.
- SAUCE: Have the bacon cooked halfway and chopped small. Dice the onion small. Peel, de-core and chop the apple small. Roughly chop the parsley.
- Sauté the onion and apples in the butter until they both turn a light brown. Add the pan juice from the cabbage and the tomato paste.
- Let it reduce very slowly for 20 minutes, then in with the bacon and thicken it by means of some pale roux. Season with the salt and black pepper and finish with the parsley.
The Cookalisdhair Falcarragh, IE
- Not added to any groups yet!