Chocolate-dipped MacaroonsFrom hopscotch 6 years ago
- Ingredients shopping list
- 5 large egg whites shopping list
- 1/2 vanilla bean, split lengthwise shopping list
- 1 1/3 cups sugar shopping list
- 4 cups long-shred unsweetened coconut (about 6 ounces), lightly toasted shopping list
- 3/4 cup slivered almonds, toasted, cooled, ground shopping list
- 12 ounces bittersweet (not unsweetened) or semisweet chocolate, finely chopped shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 275°F.
- Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Place egg whites in large bowl; scrape in seeds from vanilla bean.
- Using electric mixer, beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar, beating until meringue is very thick (similar to marshmallow creme), about 5 minutes.
- Fold in coconut, then almonds. Drop batter by rounded tablespoonfuls onto prepared sheets, spacing mounds 1 1/2 inches apart.
- Bake macaroons until pale beige outside and dry-looking (insides will still be soft), about 25 minutes.
- Transfer baking sheets to racks; cool macaroons completely.
- Transfer macaroons to work surface; re-line pans with clean parchment.
- Place chocolate in top of double boiler over simmering water.
- Stir chocolate until smooth; remove from over water. Dip bottom of 1 macaroon into melted chocolate to depth of 1/4 inch.
- Place on prepared sheet, chocolate side down.
- Repeat dipping with remaining macaroons. Chill until chocolate is firm, about 1 hour.
- DO AHEAD Can be made 3 days ahead. Cover and keep refrigerated. Let macaroons stand at room temperature 1 hour before serving.
- Recipe by Joyce Goldstein
- April 2003
- If you have a question about this recipe, contact our Test Kitchen at firstname.lastname@example.org
The Cookhopscotch CA
- Not added to any groups yet!