Chocolate Macaroons With Chocolate Or Caramel FillingFrom hopscotch 6 years ago
- Each filling makes enough for one batch of cookies. Whichever filling you choose, be sure to prepare it a day ahead. shopping list
- 3/4 cup whole milk shopping list
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter shopping list
- 8 ounces bittersweet (not unsweetened) or semisweet chocolate, finely chopped shopping list
- 2 large egg yolks shopping list
- 6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature shopping list
- 1/4 cup whipping cream shopping list
- 2 cups (packed) powdered sugar shopping list
- 6 tablespoons water shopping list
- 1 1-pound box powdered sugar shopping list
- 2 cups whole blanched almonds shopping list
- 6 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder shopping list
- 3/4 cup egg whites (about 6 large) shopping list
How to make it
To make chocolate filling
- Bring milk and butter to simmer in heavy medium saucepan.
- Remove from heat. Add chocolate; whisk until melted and smooth.
- Transfer to small bowl. Cool. Cover and refrigerate until thick and cold, at least 1 day and up to 3 days.
- Place yolks in medium bowl.
- Bring 4 tablespoons butter and cream to simmer in heavy small saucepan.
- Gradually whisk hot cream mixture into yolks.
- Anchor bowl with yolk mixture by placing bowl on wet kitchen towel; set aside.
- Stir sugar and 6 tablespoons water in heavy medium saucepan over low heat until sugar is dissolved.
- Increase heat and boil without stirring until syrup is deep amber color, occasionally brushing down sides of pan with wet pastry brush and swirling pan so caramel will color evenly, about 10 minutes.
- Slowly whisk hot caramel into yolk mixture, then whisk until smooth.
- Transfer caramel mixture to small bowl; let stand until no longer warm to touch (caramel will become too thick if it cools too long), about 1 hour.
- Whisk in remaining butter. Cover and chill until thick and cold, at least 1 day and up to 3 days.
To Make macaroons
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Blend powdered sugar and almonds in processor until nuts are ground to powder, scraping sides of bowl often, about 8 minutes.
- Add cocoa and blend 1 minute more. Using electric mixer, beat egg whites in large bowl until stiff but not dry.
- Fold nut mixture into whites in 4 additions, making thick batter.
- Spoon half of batter into pastry bag fitted with 1/2-inch plain round tip.
- Pipe batter onto each prepared sheet in 12 walnut-size mounds, spacing mounds apart (cookies will spread slightly).
- Bake cookies, 1 sheet at a time, until firm to touch in center and dry and cracked on top, about 11 minutes.
- Slide parchment with cookies onto work surface; cool cookies. Repeat with remaining batter, cooling sheets completely and lining with clean parchment for each batch.
Assembly and serving
- Arrange 1 macaroon, flat side up, on work surface.
- Drop 1 scant tablespoon filling onto cookie.
- Top with second macaroon, flat side down. Press lightly to adhere, making sandwich.
- Repeat with remaining macaroons and filling. Arrange macaroons on platter.
- Cover; chill at least 2 hours and up to 1 day. Serve cold.
- Recipe by Pierre Hermé
- Photograph by Stephen Ellison (have not uploaded photo)
- May 2001
- If you have a question about this recipe, contact our Test Kitchen at email@example.com.
The Cookhopscotch CA
- Not added to any groups yet!