Baked Cod Florentine StyleFrom fluffy24 3 years ago
- 4 tablespoons butter shopping list
- 2 tbsp. flour shopping list
- 1 1/2 cups milk shopping list
- 1/4 cup heavy cream shopping list
- 1/4 cup grated gruyere or cheddar cheese shopping list
- pinch cayenne pepper shopping list
- salt and freshly ground pepper to taste shopping list
- 1 egg, lightly beaten shopping list
- 1 pound fresh spinach shopping list
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped shallots shopping list
- 4 6-ounce skinless and boneless codfish fillets shopping list
- 1/4 cup dry white wine shopping list
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a saucepan. Add the flour, stirring with a wire whisk. Blend well and add the milk and cream, stirring. When thickened and smooth remove from the heat and add the cheese, cayenne pepper, salt and pepper, and blend well. Add the egg, stirring rapidly. Set aside and keep warm.
- Cut away and discard any tough blemishes on the spinach leaves. Rinse well and drain.
- Place spinach in a skillet and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spatula. When spinach is wilted, in about 3 minutes, transfer it to a colander and drain, pressing with the back of the spatula to extract liquid. Set aside.
- With 1 tablespoon butter, grease a baking dish large enough to hold the fish in one layer. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of the shallots over the bottom. Add the fish and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Add the wine. Bring to a boil on top of the stove, then place in the oven. Bake 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining butter in a skillet and add the remaining 1 tablespoon shallots, and the spinach, salt and pepper. Cook and stir for one minute, no longer. Smooth the spinach over the bottom of an oval baking dish. Carefully place the baked codfish pieces over the spinach. Cover and keep warm.
- .Pour the wine liquid from the baking dish into a saucepan. Reduce it quickly by half. Add this to the cheese sauce and stir. Bring to a boil.
- Spoon the hot sauce evenly over the fish. Sprinkle with cheese and bake, uncovered, until bubbling and the fish is nicely browned on top.
- 4 servings
The Cookfluffy24 Cranston, RI
- Not added to any groups yet!