Asian Beef And Noodle SoupFrom bojangles42 5 years ago
- 8 c beef stock - I used canned or boxed shopping list
- 6 stalks lemon grass - tender ends, bruised, 5"-6" in length shopping list
- 4 cloves garlic crushed shopping list
- 1.5" pieces of ginger sliced shopping list
- 6 oz pineapple juice shopping list
- 1-2 T. fish sauce (to taste) shopping list
- 2 limes shopping list
- 1 large onion shopping list
- 1-2 teaspoons chili paste with garlic (Rooster brand is what I use) shopping list
- 2 T vegetable oil shopping list
- 1 T annato seeds shopping list
- 2 T. Thai sour shrimp paste (Tom Yum paste) shopping list
- 14 oz round bun noodle (rice noodles) shopping list
- 2 c (packed loosely) fresh bean sprouts shopping list
- 1/2 c cilantro leaves shopping list
- 24 sweet Thai basil leaves (or regular basil) shopping list
- 1 lb thinly sliced beef or pork (I really like to use pork tenderloin) Freeze and slice when partially thawed. shopping list
- Sriracha Sauce shopping list
- hoisin sauce shopping list
How to make it
- In a large stock pot add the beef stock, pineapple juice, fish sauce, garlic, ginger, lemon grass, chile paste with garlic, and 1/2 of the onion, quartered.
- Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer for 15 minutes.
- In a small sauce pan over med/low heat, add the vegetable oil and annato seed.
- Heat for 5 minutes until the oil is a beautiful red/orange.
- Strain the seeds out of the oil and return the oil to the pan.
- Add the Thai Sour shrimp paste to the annato. Heat briefly to release the flavors.
- Strain the broth discarding the vegetables.
- Add the annato oil to the broth plus the juice from one lime. Return to a simmer.
- Cook the noodle according to the directions.
- Thinly slice the remaining half of the onion.
- Add the meat to the broth. It should cook in just a minute or two.
- To Serve:
- Place 1/4 of the noodles in the bottom of a bowl.
- Add 1/4 of the bean sprouts and 1/4 of the raw onion.
- Ladle the broth and meat over the noodle until covered (remember big bowls!)
- Add a 1/2 teas of sriracha sauce and 1 teas of hoisin sauce.
- Top with 6 basil leaves and 1/4 of the cilantro.
- Serve with a lime slice and extra sriracha, fish sauce, and hoisin sauce.
The Cookbojangles42 Rochester, MN
- Not added to any groups yet!