Tempura Shrimp With Chipotle Dipping Sauce, Side Of Cucumber SaladFrom FrugalFoodieMama 4 years ago
- Tempura Shrimp: shopping list
- 1 lb. raw, peeled, deveined shrimp($5 frozen at Wal-Mart) shopping list
- 1 egg, beaten shopping list
- 1 cup ice COLD water shopping list
- 1 cup flour, sifted shopping list
- Chipotle Dipping Sauce: shopping list
- 1 7oz. can of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce(about 1/4 can is what you need, reserve the rest for a later date) shopping list
- 4 garlic cloves shopping list
- 1/4 cup of mayo shopping list
- 1/4 cup of sour cream shopping list
- cucumber Salad: shopping list
- 1 large english cucumber(seedless) shopping list
- 3 TBSP of rice wine vinegar shopping list
- 1 TBSP veg oil shopping list
- kosher salt to taste shopping list
- 1 tsp sesame seeds shopping list
How to make it
- Thaw, peel and devein shrimp.
- Make cucumber salad first, so it has time to marinate while preparing dinner.
- Cut cucumber in 1/2 horizontally, and then in quarters, slice into bite size pieces.
- Place in medium bowl.
- Add vinegar, oil and salt. Toss to coat.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds. Cover and set aside.
- Make dipping sauce.
- Take garlic cloves and mince them, or chop in a food processor. I used a small fodd processor and added the chipotle peppers with a little of the sauce, about 1/4 can, blend it all up until fine.
- Add mayo and sourcream and process until smooth. Set aside.
- Put about 1 inch of vegetable oil in pan heat thouroughly on med to med high heat. While that is warming, make batter.
- In large bowl beat one egg.
- Add ice cold water, add ice to it and just use 1 cup of the water.
- Blend egg and water together. Add 1 cup sifted flour, mix until combined, being careful not to over stir. This should be a batter consistency now. Add shrimp and toss to coat.
- Test your oil by carefully dipping in one of the shrimp or the edge of it. If it bubbles immediately, it is ready. If it doesn't do anything, wait a few more minutes.
- Once oil is ready, add first batch of shrimp, cook a couple minutes on each side until light golden color. Drain on a paper towel covered plate, repeat with the remaining shrimp.
- Plate shrimp with dipping sauce side and cucumber salad. Enjoy the spicy, smoky goodness of the shrimp with sauce. Cool your palate down with cucumber salad. Enjoy!!!
The CookFrugalFoodieMama Charlotte, NC
- Not added to any groups yet!