Chocolate Crusted Plum GaletteFrom midgelet 6 years ago
- pastry 1 1/4 cups sifted all-purpose flour shopping list
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon sugar shopping list
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 1 stick (4 ounces) unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch pieces and chilled shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract shopping list
- 3 to 4 tablespoons ice water shopping list
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten shopping list
- 1 orange, preferably organic, washed and patted dry shopping list
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter shopping list
- 1/4 cup sugar shopping list
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped rosemary ( I'd make this optional ) shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract shopping list
- 1 1/2 pounds red or black plums—halved, pitted and cut into 8 wedges each shopping list
- 2 tablespoons water shopping list
- whipped cream, for serving shopping list
How to make it
- In a food processor, pulse the flour with 2 tablespoons of the sugar, the cocoa and the salt. Add the butter and pulse until the crumbs are the size of small peas. In a small cup, stir the vanilla into 3 tablespoons of ice water, then sprinkle over the mixture and pulse just until the crumbs are moistened. If the crumbs seem very dry, pulse in the remaining 1 tablespoon of ice water. Turn the crumbs out onto a work surface and gather them together; pat the pastry into a disk. Wrap the pastry in plastic and refrigerate until chilled, about 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400°. On a lightly floured surface, roll out the pastry to a 14-inch round (see Note). Transfer the round to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Fold 1 inch of the pastry over onto itself to form a pleated rim and prick the rest of the pastry with a fork. Brush the rim with egg white and sprinkle with the remaining 1 teaspoon of sugar. Freeze until firm.
- Using a vegetable peeler, remove two 3-by-1-inch strips of zest from the orange. Cut the strips into fine julienne with a sharp knife.
- In a large nonstick skillet, melt the butter over high heat. Stir in the sugar, orange zest, rosemary and vanilla. Add the plums and water and cook, stirring occasionally, until the sugar dissolves and the plums are barely softened, about 5 minutes.
- Spread the cooked plums and their juices over the pastry and bake for 35 minutes, or until the fruit is tender and the crust is cooked through. Cut the galette into wedges and serve warm or at room temperature, with whipped cream.
People Who Like This Dish 0
- midgelet Eastern, USA
- Show up here?Review or Bookmark it! ✔
The Cookmidgelet Eastern, USA
- Not added to any groups yet!