Eggplant Florentine/Parmesan CasseroleFrom dione73 4 years ago
- 1 medium eggplant unpeeled, 1/4" slices shopping list
- 3/4 cup whole-wheat flour shopping list
- your favorite dried italian seasonings shopping list
- 4 cloves garlic, minced shopping list
- 1 cup chopped onion shopping list
- 28oz crushed tomatoes shopping list
- 1t basil shopping list
- 1t oregano shopping list
- salt and pepper to taste shopping list
- 1 3/4c fat-free ricotta or cottage cheese (pureed) shopping list
- 10oz frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained well shopping list
- 1/4c egg beaters or egg whites shopping list
- 4T parmesan cheese shopping list
- 2c reduced-fat shredded mozzarella or cheddar cheese shopping list
How to make it
- In a saucepan lightly brown garlic and onion in cooking spray. Add tomatoes, basil and oregano (and any other spices or wine you use in your sauce). Simmer 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- Soak the eggplant slices in cool salted water 30 minutes, drain.
- Preheat oven 400F
- Meanwhile combine the filling ingredients (ricotta cheese- parmesan cheese) in a bowl; set aside. (It's best to pour it into a large plastic bag so you can pipe it onto the eggplant later)
- Combine the flour and italian seasonings in a gallon size ziploc bag and toss to combine.
- Add a few slices of eggplant at a time and coat each side; set aside.
- Line a 9x13" baking pan with foil.
- Spread 1 cup of sauce on the bottom of the pan and add a layer or eggplant trying to cover every inch of the pan (you may have to cut slices to fit)
- Top with a cup of sauce an spread evenly.
- Top with half of the ricotta mix (this doesnt have to be even it'll spread out)
- Sprinkle 2/3 cup of shredded cheese on top.
- Top with another layer of eggplant, sauce, ricotta mix and 2/3c shredded cheese.
- Repeat: eggplant, sauce (you shouldnt have anymore ricotta left) and shredded cheese.
- Cover pan with foil and bake for 45 minutes. Uncover and bake 10 minutes more.
The Cookdione73 US, RI
- Not added to any groups yet!