Crockpot Red BeansFrom otterpond 6 years ago
- 1lb small red beans, dried shopping list
- 1/2c pork Jowl bacon, diced shopping list
- 1c sweet white onion, small dice shopping list
- 1/2c poblano pepper, diced shopping list
- 3 cloves garlic shopping list
- 1/2c carrots, small dice shopping list
- 1-1/2c stewed tomatoes (1-15oz can) shopping list
- 2 tbsp tomato paste shopping list
- 1 cup day old coffee shopping list
- 4 cups water shopping list
- 1 tsp salt shopping list
- 1 tbsp Sriracha hot chili sauce shopping list
- 2 bay leaves shopping list
- 1 tsp oregano, dried shopping list
- 1 tsp parsley, dried shopping list
How to make it
- The day before, rinse and pick through the beans the let them soak overnight covered in water.
- Drain the beans
- Prepare the vegetables and put all the ingredients in the crock pot. Give it a good stir and set the crock pot on high. I made sure to stir it through out the day and adjusted seasonings about two hours from done. Found I only added a bit more salt.
- I often want to cook things knowing I am cooking for one. If I had 16 people to feed there wouldn't have been left-overs but there was just me so that was a gracious plenty beans. I gave 3 cups of the beans plain to the Folks Next Door (aka my in-laws) who generally favor my cooking. This is my plans for the next.
- First day I had the beans plain over rice the night we made ground beef tacos.
- The second day I used the left over rice and taco meat to mix up Dirty Rice. Froze two 1-cup containers of this for my lunches next week.
- I froze the remaining 2-2cup containers which I plan to use these in Red Bean Steak Burritos and Red Bean Chicken Barley Soup.
- Makes 8 cups
- Estimated cost of this recipe: $3.50