Pumpkin Black Bean ChiliFrom christinem 5 years ago
- Pumpkin* shopping list
- 1 tbsp olive oil shopping list
- 1 medium onion shopping list
- 3 cloves garlic shopping list
- 3/4 cup chopped bell pepper (any color or combination) shopping list
- 1 14/5 oz. can diced tomatoes (about 1 1/4 cup fresh) shopping list
- 1 cup prepared salsa shopping list
- 1 cup water shopping list
- 1 tbsp. cumin shopping list
- 2 tsp chili powder shopping list
- 1 tsp cayenne shopping list
- 1 tsp coriander shopping list
- 1/2 tsp paprika shopping list
- salt & pepper shopping list
- 1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder shopping list
- 1 19 oz can black beans, drained & rinsed (about 2 cups) shopping list
- 2 tbp cilantro, shopped shopping list
- Diced avocado, sour cream and additional cilantro for garnish. shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 350* F. Cut pumpkin in half and scoop out seeds. Place pumpkin halves cut side down on baking sheet. Add about 1/2 cup water. Bake for 20-30 minutes or until pumpkin is tender. Let cool. Peel and cube pumpkin. (*You can roast more than one pumpkin at a time. Use about 2 cups cubed pumpkin for this recipe. The rest can be pureed in a food processor, sealed in plastic bags and frozen for future use. )
- Heat olive oil in a large Dutch oven or pot. Add onion, garlic and peppers and saute about 5 minutes or until tender. Add pumpkin and saute another minute or two.
- Add tomatoes, salsa, water, cumin, chili powder, cayenne, coriander, paprika, cocoa powder and salt & pepper. Brig to a heavy simmer, then reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes. Add black beans and 2 tbsp cilantro. Heat through about 5 minutes.
- Garnish as desired when serving.