Hk Style Crispy Roasted Pork BellyFrom Yinhomemade 6 years ago
- pork belly - about 1 kg shopping list
- coarse salt shopping list
- seasoning shopping list
- shaoxing wine/Cooking wine - 1 tbsp shopping list
- salt - 2-2.5tsp shopping list
- sugar 1/2 tsp shopping list
- chicken stock powder - 1/4tsp shopping list
- Sand ginger powder 1tsp - optional shopping list
- Five spice powder 1/2-1tsp – I put 1 tsp shopping list
How to make it
- Wash the pork belly and remove any hair on the rind/skin, pat dry with paper towel..
- Prick/poke the rind as many holes as possible, this is important step to make the rind crispy See Photo. I poke holes using the sharp tip of the veggie and fruit peeler.
- Made a few slits on the meat for better absorption of seasoning.. See Photo
- First coat the rind and pork belly meat with cooking wine, then only marinate the meat with above seasoning but not the rind/skin.
- Air dry the whole pork belly openly in the fridge with the rind facing upward. Ok to leave in the fridge for days until you wish to bake. Best to leave it for at least 1 day to have good crispy result.
- Baking Step :
- Wrap the pork belly with aluminum foil and place in a baking tray, make sure the height of the foil is 1 inch higher than the pork belly. Coat at least 1 inch thickness of coarse salt on the rind, this to make the water at the rind surface to evaporate to achieve crispy skin effect. See Photo
- Pre-heat the oven at 230 degree celcius for 15 min.
- Bake the pork belly at the center of oven for 50 minutes.
- After 50 minutes, take out the pork belly and get rid of the coaarse salt.
- Change the bake mode to grill and reduce the heat to 210 degree celcius and put back pork belly at higher rack of the oven to girll for another 20 minutes or until the rind is crispy.
- From my experience the rind will start crackling after 15 minuets at grill mode. See Photo
- Take out from oven and let it cool before served See Photo.