Butternut Squash RisottoFrom ethoits 2 years ago
- 5 cups chicken (or vegetable) broth shopping list
- 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract shopping list
- 3 cups peeled cubed (1-inch wide) butternut squash, about 12 ounces shopping list
- 2 tablespoons butter, plus 1 tablespoon shopping list
- 3/4 cups finely chopped onion shopping list
- 2-3 shallots, finely chopped shopping list
- 1 cup chopped shitake mushrooms shopping list
- 1 1/2 cups arborio rice or medium-grain white rice shopping list
- 1 cup dry white wine shopping list
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan shopping list
- salt shopping list
- black pepper shopping list
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh chives shopping list
- 1/2 to one 1 tsp nutmeg shopping list
- 1/2 to one 1 tsp white pepper (it might be better to start with less if you're not sure how "spicy" you like it. You can always adjust seasoning at the end). shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat the oven to 400
- Spread out the squash pieces on a foil lined cookie sheet (or baking dish). The foil makes clean up much simpler. Toss with olive oil, salt and black pepper. Roast until fork tender, 15-20 minutes. Check in on them once, about 7 minutes in, and stir them around.
- When roasted, transfer to a bowl. Lightly mash, leaving some chunks.
- Heat the stock in a sauce pan. Add the vanilla extract to the stock. Add 1/2 cup of the wine to the stock as well. Keep at a low simmer.
- Melt two tbs. of the butter in a large sauce pan over medium heat. Add the onion, mushrooms and shallots, and saute until translucent, but not brown, about 4 minutes. Add the rice and stir to coat with the butter. Add the white pepper and nutmeg. Cook the rice for about a minute.
- Add the remaining 1/2 cup wine. Stir until all the wine is absorbed.
- Add 1/2 cup of the stock, and stir often until it's nearly all absorbed. Continue in this manner until all the stock is gone.
- Turn off the heat and add the parmesan, remaining butter, 1/2 tsp. salt and squash.
- Garnish with chives.
The Cookethoits Manchester, N.H.
- Not added to any groups yet!