Scalloped PotatoesFrom twill10 4 years ago
- scalloped potatoes shopping list
- Ingredients3 Tbsp butter shopping list
- 2 lbs (about 4 medium sized) russet potatoes, peeled, sliced 1/8-inch thick shopping list
- 1 large yellow or white onion, thinly sliced shopping list
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley shopping list
- 1 Tbsp chopped fresh chives (optional) shopping list
- 2 thick slices of bacon, cooked and chopped shopping list
- 2 1/2 cups grated Swiss or gruyere cheese (about 8 ounces) shopping list
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese (about 2 ounces) shopping list
- 2 1/2 cups to 3 cups of half-and-half (half milk, half cream) shopping list
- salt and pepper shopping list
- . shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter a large casserole dish with 1 1/2 Tbsp of butter. If you use a casserole dish that is about 9x13 (bigger than the one shown) you'll have more surface area, more of the potatoes will brown, and the cooking time will be faster.
- Layer the bottom of the casserole dish with 1/3 of the potato slices. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Layer on 1/2 of the sliced onions and 1/2 cup of the Swiss cheese. Layer on 1/2 of the bacon, 1/2 of the parsley and chives. Sprinkle with a little Parmesan.
- Repeat by layering on 1/3 of the potato slices, sprinkle again with salt and pepper. Layer on the remaining sliced onions, 1/2 cup of the Swiss cheese, the remaining bacon, parsley and chives. Sprinkle with a little Parmesan.
- Top the casserole with the remaining potato slices. Add the half and half. Dot the potatoes with the remaining 1 1/2 Tbsp of butter.
- Cover the casserole with aluminum foil and bake in the oven for one hour. After an hour, remove from the oven, remove the foil, sprinkle on the remaining Swiss and Parmesan cheese. Return to the oven for an additional 30-40 minutes. When done, the potatoes should be tender, but not mushy, and the liquid should be mostly absorbed.
- Serves 8.
- For a faster cooking time, you can parboil the sliced potatoes for 8 minutes first, patting them dry, before layering them in the casserole pan. In this case the total oven cooking time is about 35-45 minutes
The Cooktwill10 Cape Girardeau, MO
- Not added to any groups yet!