Sauerkraut / KimchiFrom psychickaraoke 2 years ago
- EXTREMELY VARIABLE shopping list
- cabbage- any variety, cored and sliced (retain removed outer leaves!) shopping list
- root vegetables- carrots, radishes, turnips, or kohlrabi; shredded or sliced shopping list
- garlic and onions, chopped or minced shopping list
- hot peppers, if you'd like, chopped or minced shopping list
- non-iodized salt / sea salt shopping list
- wide mouth mason jar(s) or plastic food grade bucket shopping list
How to make it
- the ingredient types and quantities for this recipe are extremely variable. the only consistent ingredients are cabbage and salt. depending on what is available and appealing to you , this recipe can be adjusted for anyone.
- add variety of vegetables to a large non-aluminum bowl sprinkling salt in between layers See Photo
- massaged the salted veggies to break down the cell walls so water can be drawn out
- taste the brine to see if it is salty, add salt if it ain't briney
- THIS PART IS IMPORTANT
- find something to fit inside the jar or bucket that covers most of the surface
- the closer the fit, the better
- you will also need a weight; get creative.
- place the outer cabbage leaves along the surface. they will collect the scum that is likely to eventually form. don't sweat it.
- add the plunger presser-downer bit
- add weight & wait See Photo
- be sure that veggies are submerged in liquid at all times. if necessary, add brine.
- after 5 days, with clean hands, try some- if you like it be sure to refrigerate
- after 7 days, ditto
- the longer you wait, the more funky it will get.
The Cookpsychickaraoke Athens, OH
- Not added to any groups yet!