Turkish DelightFrom amatullah 9 years ago
How to make it
- Place the sugar, 285ml (½ pint) water, and lemon juice in a heavy saucepan over medium heat. Stir until the sugar dissolves and the mixture boils.
- Reduce the heat and simmer gently, without stirring, until the mixture reaches the soft-ball stage 114 - 118°C (238 - 245°F). The sugar mixture will form a soft ball which can be squashed flat.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat.
- In a second large heavy saucepan over medium heat, stir together 225g (8oz) cornflour and the cream of tartar.
- Gradually stir in the remaining water until no lumps remain.
- Stir constantly, until the mixture boils and forms a thick, gluey paste.
- Slowly pour the hot sugar syrup into the cornstarch mixture, stirring constantly.
- Reduce the heat and simmer, stirring often, to prevent sticking, for about 1 hour, or until the mixture has become a pale golden colour.
- Stir in the rosewater and add food colouring (if used).
- Pour the mixture into the prepared baking tin and spread evenly.
- Cool to room temperature, uncovered, allow to stand overnight to set.
- Sift the icing sugar and a little cornflour onto a large cutting board.
- Turn out and cut into 1-inch squares with an oiled knife.
- Roll pieces in the icing sugar mixture to coat well.
- Store in an airtight container with sheets of waxed paper, dusted with the sugar mixture, separating every layer.
- Makes approx.80 pieces.
People Who Like This Dish 21
The Cookamatullah Perth, AU
The Rating3 people
- Not added to any groups yet!