Mediterranean Pot RoastFrom choclytcandy 5 years ago
- 1/4 cup flour shopping list
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper shopping list
- 4 lb. chuck roast, well trimmed shopping list
- 3 tablespoons olive oil (or other vegetable oil) shopping list
- 2 medium onions shopping list
- 4 cloves garlic, minced or crushed through a press shopping list
- 2 cans (16 oz each) crushed tomatoes shopping list
- 2 cups red wine shopping list
- 1 1/2 teaspoon thyme shopping list
- 1 bay leaf shopping list
- 1 3/4 lb. small red potatoes shopping list
- 2 medium red bell peppers shopping list
- 1 large zucchini shopping list
- 1/2 lb. small mushrooms shopping list
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley (optional) shopping list
How to make it
- 1. On a plate, combine the flour, salt and black pepper. Lightly dredge the roast in the seasoned flour. Reserve the excess dredging mixutre.
- 2. In a flameproof casserole or Dutch oven, warm 2 tablespoons of the oil over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking. Add the roast and cook unitl browned on all sides (about 10 minutes).
- 3. Meanwhile, very coarsely chop the onions.
- 4. Remove the roast from the pan. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil, the onions and garlic. Saute until the onions begin to brown, about 5 minutes.
- 5. Add the reserved dredging mixture to the pan and stir until the fat absorbs the flour. Add the tomatoes, wine, thyme and bay leaf, and bring the mixture to a boil. Return the roast to the casserole and bring the liquied to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover and simmer for 2 hours, turning the roast from time to time.
- 6. Meanwhile, halve the potatoes. Cut the bell peppers into strips. Halve the zucchini lengthwise and cut it into 1" lengths.
- 7. When the roast has cooked for 2 hours, add the potatoes , bell peppers and whole mushrooms to the casserole. Re-cover and cook for 30 minutes.
- 8. Add the zucchini and cook for 5 minutes longer. Remove the bay leaf. Stir in the parsley (if using) just before serving.
The Cookchoclytcandy IN
- Not added to any groups yet!