Grandma's Fried EggplantFrom Pumpkin_Tokyo 2 years ago
How to make it
- Peel the eggplant and slice into round slices, not too thick, but not paper thin either.
- Beat eggs together, keep in a bowl.
- Crush crackers into fine crumbs, either by putting them in a ziploc bag and crushing them with a rolling pin, or like I do, by putting them in a bowl and smashing them with my glass ketchup bottle.
- **** Make sure there are no large crumbs left by gently shaking the bowl periodically.
- Keep crumbs in a bowl.(if you are not using saltines or similarly salted crackers, add a few dashes of salt to the crumbs)
- Heat oil in a skillet, about 3 tbs. When hot, take a piece of eggplant and dip it (both sides) into the egg mixture until egg is all over it.
- Then, press it firmly (both sides) into the cracker crumbs. Once coated, place 4 or 5 eggplants into the skillet and fry on med high, until golden brown.
- Transfer to a paper towel to soak the oil.
- You will need to periodically remove crumbs from the skillet and replenish the oil.
- ***variation**** To have a thicker batter, add flour or some of your crackers to the egg mixture. Dip the eggplant into the mixture and then the crumbs as usual.
The CookPumpkin_Tokyo Portland, Or
- Not added to any groups yet!