ChilaquilesFrom auntybea 2 years ago
- 1 large onion, chopped (1 cup) shopping list
- 2 cloves garlic, minced shopping list
- 1 tbsp. vegetable oil shopping list
- 12 6" tortillas, torn or broken into 1" pieces shopping list
- 2 cups shredded Monterey Jack or cheddar cheese shopping list
- 8 ounces canned green chile peppers, undrained shopping list
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten shopping list
- 2 cups buttermilk or sour milk (add 2 tbsp. vinegar to 2 cups milk) shopping list
- 1/2 tsp. salt shopping list
- 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper shopping list
- 1/8 tsp. ground cumin shopping list
- 1/8 tsp. dried oregano, crushed shopping list
- salsa as desired shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 375 degree F. In a large skillet, cook onion and garlic in hot oil over medium heat until onion is tender.
- Meanwhile, grease a 2-quart rectangular baking dish. Spread half of the tortillas in the bottom of the prepared baking dish. Top with half of the cheese and half of the chile peppers. Sprinkle with onion mixture. Top with the remaining tortillas, cheese and chile peppers.
- In a large bowl, combine eggs, buttermilk, salt, black pepper, cumin and oregano. Pour evenly over ingredients in dish.
- Bake, uncovered, for 35 to 40 minutes or until centre is set and edges are lightly browned. Let stand for 15 minutes before serving. If desired, top with salsa. Makes 8 servings.
The Cookauntybea Vernon, Canada
- Not added to any groups yet!