U.S. Navy Minced Beef On ToastFrom twill10 4 years ago
- I saw this recipe and we had the same thing when I was in the military, except we used no tomato products in it. I also used milk and some sort of bullion, probably chicken. shopping list
- U.S. Navy minced beef on toast from the Navy shopping list
- Yield: 10 servings shopping list
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef shopping list
- 2 medium onions, chopped shopping list
- salt and pepper, to taste shopping list
- 5 tbs flour, approximate shopping list
- cooking oil, as needed shopping list
- 1 (16 ounce) can whole tomatoes, diced, undrained shopping list
- 5 1/2 ounces tomato juice shopping list
- 2 cups hot water, approximate shopping list
- ground nutmeg, to taste shopping list
- sugar, to taste shopping list
How to make it
- Crumble the ground beef into a skillet and brown with the onions. If beef is very lean, add a tablespoon or two of cooking oil. Salt and pepper to taste. Add flour a tablespoon at a time, stirring and cooking each spoonful, before adding the next. The flour must be cooked to preclude a starchy taste throughout. Add enough flour to absorb the most of the oil. Stir in the tomatoes and the tomato juice, followed by the water. Allow to simmer on low heat to thicken. Adjust consistency as necessary.
- This recipe should be your basic meat sauce in a gravy of medium thickness. Add nutmeg, about 1/2 teaspoons, and perhaps sugar, 1/2 teaspoons, to adjust taste.
- In the NAVY this is served over toast at breakfast. It's also great on hot dogs!
The Cooktwill10 Cape Girardeau, MO
- Not added to any groups yet!