Crock Pot Basil Chicken Merlot With Wild MushroomsFrom hungrybear 5 years ago
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided shopping list
- 3 pounds roasting chicken, cut into individual pieces, skinned shopping list
- 1 1/2 cups crimini mushrooms, cleaned and thickly sliced shopping list
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced shopping list
- 2 cloves garlic, minced shopping list
- 1 cup chicken broth shopping list
- 6 ounces tomato paste, canned shopping list
- 1/3 cup merlot or other dry red wine shopping list
- 1 teaspoon ground oregano shopping list
- 2 teaspoons sugar shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper shopping list
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, minced shopping list
- 3 cups ziti pasta, cooked, drained shopping list
- romano cheese, for garnish shopping list
How to make it
- In a large skillet on stovetop set to medium-high heat, heat oil.
- Once the oil is hot, brown one-half of the chicken pieces on each side about 3 to 5 minutes, turning once.
- Remove chicken with a slotted spoon and repeat with the remaining chicken. Set all of the browned chicken aside.
- Heat the remaining oil in the skillet and add the mushrooms, onion and garlic.
- Sauté these vegetables for 7-8 minutes or until the onions are soft.
- Place the stoneware on the slow cooker heating base and add the vegetables.
- Arrange the chicken pieces on top of the vegetables.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the broth, tomato paste, wine, oregano, sugar, salt and pepper.
- Pour the sauce over the chicken.
- Cover and cook on High for 3 to 4 hours or on Low for 7 to 9 hours.
- Stir in the fresh basil. Spoon the pasta into a deep, large serving bowl or platter.
- Ladle the chicken and mushrooms over the pasta and spoon the extra sauce over all. Garnish with the Romano cheese.