Wholesome Pizza DoughFrom jo_jo_ba 5 years ago
- 1 1/2 tsp instant yeast shopping list
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour shopping list
- 1/3 cup oat flour (ground rolled oats) shopping list
- pinch sea salt shopping list
- 2 tbsp ground flaxseed shopping list
- 1/3 cup warm water shopping list
- 1/2 tsp brown sugar shopping list
- 3 tbsp whole wheat flour (for kneading) shopping list
- 1 tbsp cornmeal, for dusting shopping list
How to make it
- In a bowl, combine yeast, flours, salt and ground flax, whisking well.
- Mix together warm water and brown sugar in a small cup and add to the dry ingredients.
- With a sturdy spoon (or if you're doing this in a stand mixer, using the dough hook), mix the dough well until it forms a ball.
- Dust a countertop with some of the flour and turn the dough out.
- With lightly moistened hands, knead the dough until it's fairly smooth, then divide into 4 pieces.
- Cover with a towel and let rest 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Working one piece at a time, press dough out into a thin, flat shape (it doesn't have to be a circle!) and place on a cookie sheet dusted with the cornmeal. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Place the sheets in the oven and bake 10 minutes (they should not brown).
- Proceed with any recipe you like!
- Prepare dough through step 6. After resting, deflate and wrap in plastic, store in heavy-duty zip-top bags in the freezer up to 4 months or refrigerate no more than 8 hours before use. Allow dough to fully thaw and come to room temperature before proceeding with recipe.
- For "pre-made" crusts, prepare recipe through step 10. Allow crusts to cool completely, then sandwich between layers of wax or parchment paper and transfer to heavy-duty zip-top bags. Store in the freezer for up to 6 months.
- Add herbs, chopped or powdered garlic or ground pepper to the crust for an interesting twist!
- Make one big pizza crust from this recipe and bake it 12-15 minutes before topping it.
- Add an extra gram of protein to the crust by using 2 tbsp of low-fat soy flour in place of 2 tbsp of oat flour.