Pork Chops Prize WinnerFrom oldinjun 6 years ago
- Rob’s Prize winning pork chops (Southern Classic) shopping list
- This recipe serves four people shopping list
- 4 1-inch thick pork chops, bone-in shopping list
- 2 large sweet onions, Vidalia preferred, sliced very thin shopping list
- 2 cloves garlic shopping list
- 1 cup heavy cream shopping list
- salt and pepper shopping list
- 4 medium baking potatoes shopping list
- Package of greens, spinach or green veggie of your choice. shopping list
How to make it
- Trim off a few slivers of fat from the chops, leaving the rest on. Put the slivers in a heavy skillet large enough to hold the chops and render over low heat until they give up a little fat. Remove the slivers and discard. Add a little oil if needed.
- Brown the chops on both sides.
- Turn the heat to very low, and then smother the chops with the sliced onion and garlic. You can't have too much onion. Add salt and pepper and now, PAY ATTENTION!
- Cover the skillet and cook for two hours. Yes, I said two hours. DO NOT PEEK! DO NOT OPEN THE COVER!
- About one hour before serving time start thinking about peeling the potatoes and getting them ready to mash. Ditto with the green vegetable.
- After the two hours has elapsed, uncover the chops and remove them to a warm 200 degree oven.
- Turn the heat up to medium, pour in the cream and reduce the mixture until it has a sauce-like consistency. Don't make it too thick.
- Place a chop on each plate along with a healthy serving of mashed potatoes. Spoon the onion mixture over the meat and potatoes and serve the greens on the side, maybe with a little pepper vinegar splashed on them.