Sweet Corn And Sweet Potato SoupFrom dond 5 years ago
- 4½ cups fresh corn kernels (about 6 ears), 3 cobs reserved shopping list
- 2 cups half-and-half shopping list
- 1 Tbsp olive oil shopping list
- 3 cloves garlic, minced shopping list
- 1 medium onion, diced shopping list
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and diced shopping list
- ¼ tsp crushed red pepper flakes shopping list
- ¼ tsp dried thyme shopping list
- ¼ tsp dried dill shopping list
- ¼ cup sherry shopping list
- 3 cups chicken stock shopping list
How to make it
- Cut reserved corn cobs in half and place in a pot with the half-and-half. Heat over medium high heat until half and half comes to a boil. Immediately reduce heat to medium and simmer for 15 minutes. (Keep an eye on the half and half to make sure it doesn’t return to a boil.)
- Heat olive oil in a large soup pot over medium high heat. Add garlic, onions, potatoes, crushed red pepper flakes, thyme and dill. (If you have fresh herbs on hand, use about a tsp of each.)
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until onions soften and begin to brown slightly, about 5 minutes. Stir in corn kernels and cook just until kernels are heated through, about a minute.
- Deglaze the pan with sherry, using a wooden spoon to scrape up any bits of food stuck to the bottom of the pan. Once most of the sherry has evaporated (there should be about a Tbsp left in the pot), add chicken stock and simmer until potatoes are soft, 10-15 minutes.
- Remove corn cobs from half-and-half and throw them away. Carefully add half-and-half to corn and potatoes and simmer gently 10-15 minutes.
- Ladle about 4 cups of the soup into a blender and puree until smooth. Return puree to soup pot, stirring occasionally, and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Garnish with a sprinkling of fresh thyme, dill, or chopped fresh chives.
The Cookdond Rockville, MD
- Not added to any groups yet!