Three Teacup ChickenFrom mbelisle 2 years ago
- 1/4 cup soy sauce shopping list
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar shopping list
- 1/4 cup sugar shopping list
- 1 1/2 T shaoxing wine or dry sherry shopping list
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil shopping list
- 6 garlic cloves, smashed shopping list
- 8 1/4 inch thick slices peeled ginger shopping list
- 6 scallions, chopped shopping list
- 1 teaspoon Sichuan peppercorns or 1 diced red chili pepper(optional) shopping list
- 2 lbs. chicken breast or thighs cut into bite-sized pieces shopping list
- 2 star anise or pinch of anise seed (optional) shopping list
- 1/2 cup water shopping list
How to make it
- Make the braising liquid: In a bowl combine the soy sauce, rice vinegar, sugar, and Shaoxing wine together and mix well. Set aside.
- Place the oil in a wok or large saute pan over high heat and swirl until hot. A drop of water should evaporate within 1-2 seconds. Add the garlic, ginger, scallions, and Sichuan peppercorns/chili pepper if using and stir-fry for 30 seconds or until fragrant.
- Add the chicken and stir-fry until no pink on the surface remains (you just want to sear the outside nicely).
- Add the braising liquid and star anise or anise seed if using and cook for 1 minute ensuring that the chicken is well coated in the braising liquid. Add the water and cover and cook for 4 more minutes or until the chicken is cooked through and no pink remains. Serve immediately over rice with hearty amounts of the broth. Garnish with a little extra chopped scallion.
The Cookmbelisle Regina, Canada
- Not added to any groups yet!