Caramel Nut CandyFrom annieamie 6 years ago
- 1 large bag of wrapped caramels (or 2) shopping list
- 2 cups chopped walnuts, pecans shopping list
- 2 Tbs. cream, heavy or regular whipping cream shopping list
- 1 Tb. butter with salt shopping list
- (Optional-2-3 cups finely chopped walnuts, pecans or peanuts. You can also roll in toasted or untoasted coconut.) shopping list
- **You can toss in a handful or two of chocolate chips, too! shopping list
How to make it
- The prep time is as long as it takes to unwrap all those caramels. Children love to help do this so keep an extra bag around just in case they eat some before you use them in the recipe.
- I use about 30-50 of them, depending on my pan size. If you use a 9x13 pan, use about 30 caramels.
- Unwrap your caramels and put them in a microwave-proof glass bowl with the cream and butter. Microwave on high until the caramels lose their gloss and can be stirred easily. You can stir the caramels every two minutes during the cooking process.
- After the caramels have melted, stir the mixture well, blending in the butter and cream. Add the nuts and stir well.
- Pour the entire mixture into a pan and let the mixture cool and set completely which depending on your kitchen's temperature, may take up to an hour or more.
- To cut the caramels, run a knife under hot water and dry off then cut the caramels into small squares.
- IF YOU WANT TO MAKE A NUT ROLL, before the caramel sets and is still warm to the touch, you can cut out rectangles of any length desired, and using buttered hands, roll the warm caramel into the nuts or coconut as mentioned above in the optional additions suggested under the list of ingredients. Slice rolls of this candy with toasted coconut on the outside make a lovely presentation.