Tom Kha GaiFrom mattandmaren 4 years ago
- For the broth: shopping list
- 2 cups chicken stock - a little less for thicker soup shopping list
- 1 can unsweetened coconut milk shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon good sea salt shopping list
- 2 teaspoons palm sugar shopping list
- 4 stalks fresh lemongrass, washed and choppped on the diagonal in 1/2" pieces shopping list
- 3 shallots, peeled and sliced thinly shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon whole coriander seed plus a handful of fresh cilantro leaves shopping list
- 2 (or more) jalapeno (mild), serrano (warmer) or bird's eye (hot!) chili peppers, cut into thin rounds shopping list
- 1.5 inch chunk of galangal root, sliced thinly shopping list
- 3 kaffir lime leaves, coarsely chopped shopping list
- red pepper flakes to taste shopping list
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut to 1" pieces shopping list
- 1 cup chopped mushrooms shopping list
- 2-3 Tablespoons fish sauce, to taste shopping list
- 1 Tablespoon lime juice shopping list
- Handful of cilantro leaves shopping list
How to make it
- Combine all broth ingredients (through the red pepper flakes) in a large soup pan, bring to a low boil, and simmer for about 15 minutes. Taste and add red pepper flakes as needed for desired heat.
- Add the chicken, mushrooms and fish sauce, and simmer lightly until chicken is cooked through, 5-10 minutes.
- Finish with the lime juice and cilantro leaves, and serve hot.
- The finished soup should be pungent and have a nice fatty taste from the coconut milk. The flavor should be a mix of sweet, sour, salty, and spicy. You can increase any (or all of the flavors) to suit your preference with more sugar (sweet), lime juice (sour), fish sauce (salty and tangy) or red pepper flakes (spicy).
The Cookmattandmaren Kirkland, WA
- Not added to any groups yet!