Southern Cheesy Scalloped PotatoesFrom HoustonBelle 4 years ago
- 16 ounces cheddar (or other) cheese shredded shopping list
- 1/2 cup butter shopping list
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour shopping list
- 4 cups milk shopping list
- 1/2 cup heavy cream shopping list
- 2 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper shopping list
- 10 medium potatoes, peeled and washed, and thinly sliced shopping list
- 1/2 large sweet onion, quarted and thinly sliced shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Melt the butter over low heat. Blend in the flour. Add 1/2 of the milk, and whisk with flour and butter until well blended. Pour in the rest of the milk and sitr constantly until slightly thickened. Add shredded cheese. Season with salt and pepper. Continue to cook, stirring, until cheese melts. Remove from heat and stir in cream. Spread half of the cheese sauce on the bottom of a 9x13 baking dish. Arrange potato and onion slices over the cheese sauce. Spread remaining cheese sauce over the top.
- Bake at 350 degrees until potatoes are tender, about 1 hour.
- Optional: add cubed ham