Low-Fat Date SquaresFrom jo_jo_ba 7 years ago
- 2 c chopped, pitted dates shopping list
- juice of one lemon shopping list
- 1/2 c water shopping list
- 1/2 c cold water shopping list
- 1/4 c stick margarine, softened shopping list
- 2 tbsp prune puree shopping list
- 3/4 c brown sugar shopping list
- 3/4 c all-purpose flour shopping list
- 1/2 c whole-wheat flour shopping list
- 1/2 c spelt or oat flour shopping list
- 1 tsp salt shopping list
- 1/2 tsp baking soda shopping list
- 1 c steel-cut oats (long-cooking kind) shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Combine the dates, lemon juice and water in a saucepan.
- Cook, covered, on low for 10-12 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat.
- Seperately, cream margarine, prunes, and brown sugar.
- Add the flours, salt and baking soda, mix to blend.
- Soak oats in cold water 5 minutes. Drain oats and add to above mixture.
- Blend well, using your hands.
- Press 2/3 of the dough into a greased 9" square pan.
- Spread the date mixture overtop of crust, top with crumbled remaining dough.
- Bake 30 minutes, cool completely before cutting and serving.