Carmelized Onion JamFrom kennadlovley 2 years ago
How to make it
- IMPORTANT: if you intend to can this, do not use oil! The onions will provide plenty of moisture to the pan.
- Place the onions in a pot over medium heat. Stir in the sugar. Cook uncovered for 3o minutes or so, or until the onions are soften and start to brown and caramelize. Stir frequently. If the onions produce a lot of moisture, cook down until liquid has almost completely evaporated.
- Stir in the wine, balsamic vinegar, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer15-20 minutes until the liquid has reduced and begins to thicken. Taste and correct seasoning.
- Note: The cooking time will vary widely depending on the water content of your onions. The times given are based on average supermarket onions. If you have fresher onions, they will require more time for the moisture to evaporate.
- Ladle relish into hot sterile jars. Leave a 1/2 inch head-space. Process in a hot water bath for 10 minutes for half-pint jars.