Ukrainian PierogiFrom lanthanaas 4 years ago
- [section]Dough[\section] shopping list
- 3 cups all-purpose flour, plus additional for kneading shopping list
- 1 cup water shopping list
- 1 egg shopping list
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil shopping list
- 1 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 2 Tablespoon vegetable oil shopping list
- 1 medium onion, diced shopping list
- 1 1/12 pounds russet potatoes shopping list
- 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper shopping list
- sour cream and/or caramelized onions for serving shopping list
How to make it
To make dough:
- Put the flour in a large shallow bowl and make a well in the center.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the water, egg, oil, and salt.
- Pour this mixture into the well in the flour.
- Stir with a wooden spoon to gradually incorporate the flour and for a soft dough.
- Transfer dough to a lightly floured surface and knead, dusting with flour as needed, until elastic and smooth. About 8 minutes.
- The dough will be very soft. Cover it and let it rest at least half an hour to relax.
To make the filling:
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over low heat.
- Add onion and saute until golden brown, about 15-20 minutes.
- While onions are cooking, peel potatoes and mash until smooth.
- Mix in the caramelized onions, cheese, salt and pepper.
- Cover and keep refrigerated until ready to fill pierogi.
To make the dumplings:
- Divide the dough in half. Leave one half covered to avoid drying and roll the other half out on a lightly floured surface to 1/8 inch thick.
- Cut out 2-inch rounds.
- Place a round in your hand and top with 1 teaspoon of the filling.
- Fold the round in half and pinch edges to seal completely.
- Repeat with all of the dough, rerolling scraps as needed.
- Bring a 6-8 quart pot of salted water to a boil.
- Add pierogi, stirring with a wooden spoon to keep them from sticking to each other or the bottom of the pot.
- When the pierogi float to the surface, reduce heat and simmer for 3-5 minutes.
- Drain and serve with caramelized onions and/or sour cream.
The Cooklanthanaas Beaverton, OR
- Not added to any groups yet!