Spicy Thai Soup - Tom Yum Goong (the 10 Yr. Remixed Version)From popcultured1 2 years ago
- 1 lb. med. raw shrimp (shelled) shopping list
- 1 1/2 qt. chicken stock (6 cups) shopping list
- 2 sticks fresh lemon Grass (sliced) shopping list
- 1 tbsp. fish sauce shopping list
- 5 to 6 Fresh Squeezed lime juice (3 to 4 good sized limes) shopping list
- 1 tsp. lime zest (optional) shopping list
- 1 hearty tsp. ground coriander Seed shopping list
- 1 to 2 Fresh serrano chili peppers (red or green - sliced) shopping list
- 1 Fresh ginger Root - (approx. 4" is sufficient) shopping list
- 2 green onions shopping list
- 4 - 6 fresh mushrooms (white or brown- sliced) shopping list
- 1 or 2 grape or cherry tomatoes (sliced in 1/2) shopping list
- 1 hearty tbsp. tomato paste shopping list
- Dash of sugar shopping list
How to make it
- 1. Peel and devein shrimp. Do not discard the shells. They will be used to make the stock.
- 2. In a soup pot combine the Chicken Stock, Lime Juice, Lime Zest, Fish Sauce, Coriander, 1/2 of the Ginger, Lemon Grass, 1/2 of the Serrano Chili, 1 Green Onion and Shrimp shells. Bring to a boil, then lower heat and simmer gently for 20 mins.
- 3. Strain the stock. Discard the shells and other cooked items.
- 4. By this point you should have a very flavorful Tom Yum stock. Now add Tomatoes, Mushrooms, Tomato Paste, Sugar, remaining Onion, Chili and Ginger. (You might want to add about a cup of water if the stock was significantly reduced while boiling) Bring these ingredients to a boil, then lower to medium heat for 5 to 8 min.
- 5. Add the Shrimp and continue to cook on medium heat until the shrimp turns pink. (approx. 2 min) Turn off heat and remove pot from the hot burner. The shrimp with continue to cook after it has been removed from the heat. I prefer this method to prevent rubbery, overcooked shrimp.
Substitutions and Variations
- 1 tsp. Thai Chili Paste (Nam Prik Pow) instead of fresh Serrano Chili. Depending on your personal threshold for hot chili, you might want to cut all the chili measurements in 1/2 and add more if you desire. These measurements make a very spicy hot soup.
- 15 oz. Straw Mushrooms if fresh Mushrooms are not available.
- 1 - 2 dried Kaffir Lime Leafs instead of Lime Zest
- Optional garnish: sprigs of Fresh Cilantro (Personally, I do not use cilantro. It's soapy taste is an assault on my pallet)
- 1 - 2 Chicken Breast sliced in strips, or 8 oz (half block) of Firm Tofu cubed can be substituted for Shrimp if your guest have dietary restrictions regarding seafood.
The Cookpopcultured1 Nowhere, Us
- Not added to any groups yet!