Spanakopita (Spinach & Feta Pie)From wylddwoman 5 years ago
- 2lbs. 4 oz. fresh baby spinach (washed) shopping list
- 1 medium onion (finely chopped) shopping list
- 2 green onions (chopped) shopping list
- 4 Tbsp fresh parsley (chopped) shopping list
- 2 Tbsp fresh dill (chopped) - can substitute dried shopping list
- 3 Tbsp olive oil shopping list
- 2, 4 oz. packages crumbled feta cheese shopping list
- 2 Tbsp Kefalotyri, Romano or pecorino cheese shopping list
- 3 eggs (beaten) shopping list
- 8 oz. phyllo pastry shopping list
- 1 stick butter (melted) shopping list
- sea salt shopping list
- fresh cracked pepper shopping list
- Large saute pan shopping list
- 8" x 12" or 9" x 13" baking pan shopping list
How to make it
To make the filling:
- Heat the oil in the saute pan, add the onions and saute until softened.
- Add the spinach and cook for 2-5 minutes, moving constantly, until just wilted.
- Remove from heat, transfer to a cool mixing bowl, and let cool.
- Once the mix has cooled, add the parsley, dill and eggs. Add both cheeses, salt and pepper to taste, and mix well.
To build the pastry: (Faster as a 2-person job. One to brush the butter, another to lay the pastry.)
- Melt the butter, and use a little to grease the baking pan.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Cut the phyllo sheets in half length-wise so that they fit the pan, and cover with a damp towel while building so the sheets don't dry out and become difficult to work with.
- Line the base of the pan with a sheet of phyllo, and brush with butter. Repeat with 1/3 of the phyllo sheets. Brushing each with butter.
- Spread half of the filling over the first layering of phyllo, then top with 1/3 of of the remaining phyllo, following the same process.
- Spread the rest of the filling, and top with the last 1/3 of phyllo making sure to butter the top layer heavily.
- Using a sharp knife, score the top layer of phyllo into triangles as shown on the phyllo box. (This makes cutting the baked pastry much easier, and keeps the top layers from breaking apart.)
- If you want to serve as a main dish, score the top layer into 6-8 squares.
- Bake for 40 minutes, until golden brown.
- Serve hot or cold (I recommend hot).
The Cookwylddwoman New Orleans, LA
- Not added to any groups yet!