J's Homemade StromboliFrom chinablue 4 years ago
- 2 loaves Rhodes® frozen white bread, thawed shopping list
- Your choice of fillings. He uses: shopping list
- 1 coarse chopped green pepper shopping list
- 1/2 cup sliced black olives shopping list
- 1/2 cup diced ham shopping list
- 20 (more or less) slices of pepperoni shopping list
- 1 cup coarse diced onion shopping list
- 1/2 cup diced peperoncini peppers (or banana peppers) shopping list
- 1 4oz can mushroom stems and pieces(well drained) shopping list
- 8 oz shredded mozzarella cheese shopping list
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese shopping list
- 1/2 tsp. italian seasoning (if not using a store bought mix, use a mixture of thyme, rosemary, basil, & oregano} shopping list
- 1/4 tsp ground pepper shopping list
- 1/4 tsp salt (optional) shopping list
- 3 tablespoons olive oil shopping list
- 1 egg for egg wash shopping list
- poppy seed for garnish on top (if desired) shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 400°
- While waiting on oven to preheat, sauté onion and green pepper in 1 tablespoon of olive oil, just until tender.
- Drizzle and spread remaining olive oil on large baking sheet (11X17)
- Roll out one loaf of bread dough on floured board until 1/4 inch thick.
- Lay dough gently onto baking sheet.
- Spread 1/2 the mozzarella onto the dough, then lay pepperoni evenly over the cheese, followed by the ham. Next, add all the cheddar cheese over the meats. Sprinkle with seasoning/pepper/salt. Follow by spreading veggies over the cheddar and top with remaining mozzarella. See Photo
- All ingredients should come within 1/2 inch of the edge of bottom dough.
- Roll out remaining loaf of bread dough on floured board until 1/4 inch thick.
- Carefully lay second dough layer over ingredients. Pinch firmly closed around all four edges. See Photo
- Beat egg in small bowl and brush over the dough.
- Place on center rack of oven.
- Cook approximately 20-25 mins, until golden brown. See Photo
- Remove from oven and let rest for 5 minutes before cutting.
- Slice into serving sized pieces.
- Serve plain or with your favorite dipping sauce, such as marinara, pizza sauce, or melted garlic butter.
- To easily transfer dough to the baking sheet, roll it loosely over rolling pin and unroll onto baking sheet. Do the same with the top layer of dough.
- This is best cut with a pizza cutter. He uses a mezza luna style cutter.
- This works best with canned mushrooms because of the high moisture content in fresh mushrooms. They will make the stromboli bottom dough too wet.
- You can either cut into sandwich size pieces by cutting it in half down the long center and then cutting across or you could cut the long halves it into more narrow (1 1/2 inch) strips to serve as appetizers.
- Wrapped in foil, either cut or whole, it makes a great take-a-long for a picnic or tailgate party. In foil, it can easily be reheated on the grill but is tasty even cold!
The Cookchinablue 24747, VA
- Not added to any groups yet!