Rosemary Smoked Game HensFrom sosousme 3 years ago
- 3 Cornish game hens, backbone removed and cut into halves shopping list
- salt and freshly ground pepper shopping list
- 6 cloves of garlic, coarsely chopped shopping list
- 3 large sprigs of rosemary shopping list
- 2 large sprigs fresh oregano shopping list
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme shopping list
- 3 sprigs fresh lemon verbena, optional but tasty shopping list
- 1 lemon, thinly sliced shopping list
- 1/2 of an orange, cut into quarters and thinly sliced shopping list
- extra virgin olive oil shopping list
- Additional large branches of rosemary for the grill, soaked in water for 30 minutes shopping list
How to make it
- Place the hens in a baking dish that can hold them in a single layer. Season with salt and pepper, scatter the garlic over, using your fingers remove the leaves from the herbs and add to, along with the lemon and orange. Add a good amount of extra virgin olive oil and massage those birds well. Cover and refrigerate overnight, turning once or twice.
- Heat your grill and set for off heat cooking; the grill temperature when the lid is closed should be about 325 to 350 degrees F. Place the soaked rosemary sprigs on the cooking area (where the flame is off :-) ) and top those with the lemon and orange slices you have rescued from the marinade See Photo. (or cut fresh, which is what I did) Take any large pieces of herbs off the birds, then place, bone side down on the rosemary "rack". Close the lid and cook for about 1 hour, or until the juices run clear. Makes 6 servings.
- Per Serving: 438 Calories; 33g Fat (8g Sat, 17g Mono, 5g Poly); 29g Protein; 6g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 170mg Cholesterol; 461mg Sodium.
People Who Like This Dish 0
- sosousme Santa Rosa, CA
- Show up here?Review or Bookmark it! ✔
The Cooksosousme Santa Rosa, CA
- Not added to any groups yet!