Beefi Sushi NigiriFrom alisdhair 4 years ago
- 1 ¾ lbs. of excellent beef tenderloin shopping list
- 1/3 cup of grape seed oil shopping list
- ¼ cup of aki-ponzu shopping list
- 2 oz. of sweet mirin shopping list
- ½ tsp. of prepared wasabi paste shopping list
- ½ oz. of fresh ginger shopping list
- 3 cloves of garlic shopping list
- ---SUSHI RICE--- shopping list
- 2 ½ cups of sushi grade rice shopping list
- 3 tbls. of sushi vinegar shopping list
- 2 tsp. of kosher salt shopping list
- 2 ½ tbls. of powered sugar shopping list
- A bunch of scallions shopping list
- 5 tbls. of toasted black sesame seeds shopping list
- ---SAUCE--- shopping list
- 1 ½ cups of aged soy sauce shopping list
- 3 tbls. of oyster sauce shopping list
- 3 tbls. of dark brown sugar shopping list
- Half a tsp. of hot red pepper flakes shopping list
How to make it
- FOR THE BEEF: Trim off all fat and sinew then cut the beef into thin ¼ inch medallions. Pound them out lightly making sure that they are even and not broken - to about a thickness of 1/8 of an inch. Spread them in one layer onto a large cookie sheet or something similar.
- Put the garlic, ginger, mirin and the ponzu into a blender or food processor and pulse it a few times in order to evenly break up the garlic and ginger down to a small but consistent texture. Mix this into to the oil and dissolve the wasabi into it. Put this all over the beef and let it marinate for up to an hour and a half - no more!!!
- FOR THE RICE: If you have an actual rice steamer use it, if not cook the rice on the sticky side and then turn it out into a shallow container and let it cool.
- When the rice has cooled incorporate the vinegar, salt and the sugar completely into it.
- Form the rice into several 2 ½ oz. oblong ovalish shapes and then roll them gently in the scallions (which should be chopped ultra-small) and the sesame seeds.
- FOR THE SAUCE: Quite simple. Heat the soy sauce just enough to dissolve the sugar into it and season it with the red pepper flakes. When cool, add the oyster sauce.
- TO FINISH: Wipe off all of the excess marinade from the beef slices and simply fold them into nice fan-like forms and then set them atop the rice molds.
- Serve them as a first plate or as a light main course along with a pleasantly mounded serving of wheat SOBA SALAD (see recipe) but without the chicken.
The Cookalisdhair Falcarragh, IE
- Not added to any groups yet!